1. Skip to content

Find Support Services

students getting on a city bus

Many adults need help overcoming obstacles in their way of achieving career and educational goals.

Below are state- and federal-funded programs, as well as non-profit organizations, offering support services for adults. Use these services to remove road blocks from going after your education and career goals.

General Help

  • Call 211
    Call 2-1-1 to connect by phone to information about health and human services in your community. You can connect to food banks, clothing assistance, shelters, rent assistance, utility assistance, physical and mental health resources, employment support, support for seniors and people with disabilities, and help for families.
  • MinnesotaHelp.info
    This website provides online access to statewide community resources including human services, financial assistance, and other forms of help. It has a lot of audience-specific help too for seniors, people with disabilities, caregivers, families, and low income people.

Child Care

  • Child Care Assistance Program
    Helps make child care affordable for income-eligible families. Child care costs are paid for qualifying families while they go to work, look for work, or attend school. All families have a copayment based on their gross income and family size.
  • Child Care Aware of Minnesota
    This site offers a statewide search for child care providers. It also provides a toll-free referral line. Information is also available in Español, Hmoob, and Somali.
  • Child Care Grant
    The Postsecondary Child Care Grant Program helps low income students who have young children pay for child care while attending classes.


  • Food Support Employment and Training Program (FSET)
    This program provides qualified recipients with services while they gain employment and self-sufficiency. Participation in work or work-related activities is required each month to receive food support.
  • Minnesota Family Investment Plan (MFIP)
    MFIP is the state's welfare reform program for low-income families with children. MFIP will help your family move to work. It includes both cash and food assistance.


  • Housing Choice Vouchers
    Learn how low-income families can lease or purchase safe, decent, and affordable privately-owned rental housing. Additional homeownership and renting information is provided.


  • Disability Transportation Services
    Statewide transportation resources for travelers with disabilities
  • Driver and Vehicle Services
    This website from the Minnesota Department of Public Safety explains how to get a Minnesota driver's license or renew your license plate tabs.
  • Metro Transit
    Metro Transit has schedules and how to plan trips on buses and trains in the Twin Cities. You can also find details on how to travel by bicycle, rideshare, bus, light rail, and commuter rail within the metro area. Or call 612-373-3333 for personal help.
  • Metro Mobility
    Metro Mobility provides public transportation for Twin Cities riders who are unable to use the regular bus routes. This may be due to a disability or health condition. You must apply to be eligible.
  • Public Transit by County
    Find public transit information throughout Minnesota listed by county.