1. Skip to content

Help on Campus

three adult students working at a table together

Find the resources on campus available for adult students.

You are not the only person interested in your success. There are a variety of places on campus that offer support to students of all ages. Some of the common types include:

Academic Advisors
An academic advisor is an instructor who teaches a specific subject, like math or biology. After you select a specific major or program of study, you are assigned an academic advisor. Your adviser can talk with you about your education plan. They can help you plan out the specific courses to take to complete the program.

Adult Re-Entry Center
An adult re-entry center helps adults returning to college and is staffed by people who understand the challenges adult students can face. The center may offer short, optional classes in time and stress management, assertiveness training, and financial aid options. Not every school has this type of center for adults, but it is becoming more popular as more adults return to college.

Career Services
The career services office at a college can help you with education and career decisions. Advisers often provide career assessments to help you learn about yourself, and have resources for career exploration available. They often provide workshops, job fairs or one-on-one services to prepare you for a successful job search. Most career services offices offer appointments and walk-in hours.

Counseling Office
Counselors help students identify their future goals and strategies. Most offices have career assessments to help you determine a specific course of study. Counselors can help adult students deal with personal or academic problems.

Developmental/Remedial Classes
If you need help in basic math, reading, or writing skills, don't be afraid to ask for help. Most colleges offer development, or remedial, courses to help you master these subjects.

Disability Services
Disability coordinators on campus can help with any accommodations you need for a physical or hidden disability. You can speak with someone before you enroll or after you've been accepted.

Financial Aid Office
The financial aid office has people who know about the different scholarships, loans, grants, and work-study programs available to students. You can visit the financial aid office before you enroll at the school, after you've been accepted, and throughout your education.

Learning Disability Center (LDC)
Many schools have trained specialists who work one-on-one with students with disabilities. If you think you may have a learning disability, discuss the options with the LDC or your academic counselor.

Transfer Services
If you are transferring credits from a previous institution, contact a transfer specialist. The transfer process has many steps and these specialists can help you with the process. Most schools have transfer specialists who work in the admissions or registrars offices.

Tutorial Services
Most colleges have a program that allows students to work one-on-one with a tutor at no charge. The tutor is usually another student who's more advanced in that skill area. A good tutor can explain difficult concepts and encourage your efforts.

Veteran Services
Most schools provide current and former military service members with education and career information. They will assist veterans in connecting with campus services, state and federal services, and other resources to help with the re-integration process.

Adapted in part from the Minnesota Office of Higher Education's Where to Go for Support page.